SEO, Search Engine Optimization or simply said “How to be first on Google”. Everyone wants for their website to be at least on the first page of Google organic search results. Have you noticed that there is only a limited number of results on the first page? Therefore not every website can be there, and Google made sure that only the best, by their account, are found there. The best meaning the most relevant to search query.
Optimizing a website for search engines is a task that is long lasting and usually continuous. Nobody can promise you any result within any time. All you can do is give a best guess, and do your best to reach it.
You have to keep in mind that Google doesn’t really want you to optimize your site for search engine. All it wants is that website is done by certain standards, that content is somewhat rich, meaningful, original and relevant to search query. And most of the websites are like that. That’s where race to first page of Google starts.
So, what is important in order to get the best ranking in Google? To quote Depeche mode: “Everything counts”. Some things count more (like content, incoming links and traffic), and some less. The complexity is that nobody really knows everything that Google is taking into account, and certainly we do not know what gives greater strength to websites ranking. And just to make it more complex – it changes. Every day, every month, every year. Google is constantly updating it’s search algoritham, and of course we don’t know what has changed 🙂 .
- Keyword – a word or a phrase that user is inputing in Google search, like “honey”, “car repair”, “olive oil” (Google educators love olive oil), “where to buy new computer”. These are all considered to be keywords.
- Page rank (PR) – it is a metric that is calculated each time a query is sent to Google search. This metric is then given to all results that Google has, and results are sorted by it. Therefore, the website with best page rank is at the top. More or less 🙂
- Organic search results – Organic refers to the search results that are not “ads”. If you start a search it is most likely that on the top of your search results you will find few “ads”. They are marked as ads and they are part of Google advertising platform or SEM and are manipulated by the advertiser. All other results are considered organic and they are not influenced by anyone.
- Internal link
- External links
- Back links
- SEF URL
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
- Write down 4-5 keywords, without similarities, that you want to be found by. If you do not know which ones, we will make investigation and present you with optimal keywords to focus on.
- Create content – once you know your keywords, create content using those keywords, but don’t overdue it. Few keywords per text is more than enough. Keep in mind that text should be fluent, original, relevant to your theme or keyword, and user oriented. Don’t be afraid to write technical descriptions. Say what you would say if you had an interested party at your office asking you about your service or product.
- Original images or photos – using stock images is not unusual or bad, but if you can give your original photos that will always bring better user experience and trust.
- Create structure – think of the structure of your website. If you are having multiple pages and menus, categorisation is important.
- Link building – Work with your partners so that they add a link to your website on their pages. However don’t do that with just anyone. Your partners are most likely to be connected to your business and therefore to your theme, services and “keywords”. Links coming from them are relevant to Google and therefore are good links. If you start creating links on sites that are not relevant Google might find them less important, or even give a bad review.
- Think about blog or news – Google loves content that is updated. Having a blog or news feed will certainly help. But keep in mind that you need to add new content regulary. It is not important to be every day. It can be every week, once a month, but it most be regular. More frequent is better, don’t change one content per year. So think about your structure of news/blog and what you could write. And who will do it 🙂
WHAT WE DO
After we receive your content it is our job to make it standout.
- We search for your keywords and we mark them in text.
- We create internal links where we can.
- We optimize the html content, page titles and descriptions. We make a sitemap file of your website and notify Google about it.
- We are using Google Analytics tool to analyse everything that is happening on your website. (You can have access too :))
- We optimize links and images with additional tags in order to make them more SEO friendly.
- We make SEF URLS so that they are easy to read and therefore more Google friendly.
- We optimize your website (images and scripts) so that it loads as fast as possible.
This is what we do in the begining. After that comes continous task of monitoring performance, analysing the website behaviour, and continously making changes and updates to the site. Testing, keeping documentation and waiting for “response”. Nobody knows for sure when you will see the result of your test, but 4-6 weeks are considered to be optimal. Sometimes it comes sooner, that is why continous monitoring is needed.
That is why most of the clients turn to Google AdWords program.